Uruguay is preparing to extradite a 25-year-old Argentine wanted in connection with the killing last week of La Rioja national deputy Héctor Olivares and provincial official Miguel Marcelo Yadón outside the National Congress building, a prosecutor said Tuesday.
A judge in Montevideo "issued a sentence of extradition" which went uncontested by the defence in a hearing Tuesday, prosecutor Juan Gómez said.
Juan José Navarro Cádiz was arrested in Uruguay in the aftermath of the May 9 shooting and held in custody pending the hearing of an extradition request from Argentina.
The extradition "depends on the acceptance of the conditions imposed by the judge," said Gómez, including that Cádiz would not be subject to a life sentence – which have been abolished in Uruguay and some other Latin American countries – if eventually found guilty.
Six people in total have been detained in connection with shooting.
Olivares, 61, died of his wounds on Sunday, four days after the shooting that left Yadón, his long-time friend, dead at the scene.
The motive of the shooting is still not known. Press reports in Argentina have said it may have been linked to a relationship that Yadón was allegedly having with a much younger daughter of one of the assailants.