Wednesday, October 21, 2020
Perfil

ARGENTINA | 20-01-2020 16:24

Homicide rate in Rosario, Santa Fe 'two or three times' national average

Two largest cities in Santa Fe Province account for 17.6 and 13.1 murders per 100,000 people, respectively.

With 18 murders in just as many days, Rosario has become a focus of national interest this past week. Now, a tally of recent homicide rates has revealed the extent of the crisis facing Santa Fe Province as a whole: in 2019, parts of region recorded a homicide rate more than three times the national average.

The Public Prosecutor’s Office (MPA) presented a preliminary report last week that highlighted 337 victims of homicides were recorded in the province last year. Although that was lower than the prior year’s total of 357, it nonetheless remains alarming.

According to the MPA's report, the measure of homicides per 100,000 inhabitants — an index which is used internationally — indicates that La Capital (Greater Santa Fe) had a rate of 17.6, while Rosario reached 13.1. By way of comparison, he national rate stands at 5 per 100,000. The rate of Santa Fe Province as whole, reached 9.6 per 100,000 people.

“The numbers are quite serious, as they are doubling and tripling the national average,” sources from the Policy and Information Management team of the provincial Security Ministry told Perfil.

Additionally, it is not lost on analysts that 80 percent of homicides in the region were concentrated in two cities — Rosario and Santa Fe — while the 17 other provincial departments account for the remaining 20 percent. In many of those places, there was only one provoked homicide the entire year. 

“The biggest problem is that everything is concentrated in Santa Fe and Rosario,” said the sources, highlighting t that “there also appears to be other factors that have to do with associated crime about land disputes, in some cases by drug-traffickers.”

Just recently, there were two new crimes, one in Puerto San Martín and another in a zone west of Rosario.

In the first case, the victim was Elías Trisca, 21, who was attacked by his stepfather during a fight. He suffered three gunshot wounds, one of which perforated his heart. The latter victim was named as Axel Tuama, 22, who was stabbed in the chest and died soon after.

– TIMES/PERFIL

by Nicolás Fábrega, Perfil

Comments

More in (in spanish)