Sunday, September 22, 2019
Perfil

LATIN AMERICA | 29-03-2019 07:00

Maduro regime moves to ban Guaidó from holding public office

Venezuela slaps opposition leader with 15-year ban from holding public office.

Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro's regime, bolstered by a Russian military deployment infuriating the United States, has announced a ban on Washington-backed self-declared interim leader Juan Guaidó from holding public office.

But the National Assembly legislature speaker immediately shot back, declaring that the 15-year prohibition announced on state television by Maduro's auditor general, Elvis Amoroso, was invalid.

"He is not auditor general.... the legitimate congress is the only one with power to designate an auditor general," said Guaidó.

"We're going to continue in the streets," Guaidó said. 

The announcement by Amoroso, a close Maduro ally, cited alleged irregularities in Guaidó's financial records and reflected a tightening of government pressure on an opposition movement backed by the United States and its allies.

Guaidó, who was elected to the assembly in 2015, has taken 90 international trips without accounting for the origin of the estimated US$94,000 in expenses, Amoroso said. He also accused the opposition leader of harming Venezuela through his interactions with foreign governments, dozens of which support Guaidó's claim that he is interim president of the country.

The announcement also prompted a withering response from Washington, where US State Department spokesman Robert Palladino described the move in a brief remark as "ridiculous."

It was the latest scuffle between Maduro and Guaidó, who lay rival claims to be the legitimate leader of the 30-million-strong people. The competition has been escalated into a geopolitical struggle, drawing in the US and its allies which support Guaidó, and Russia, Cuba and China backing Maduro.

Moscow stands by Maduro

Though unpopular in a country spiralling ever deeper into economic chaos, Maduro has the upper hand at home, thanks to loyalty from his military chiefs and, since last weekend, the presence of 100 Russian troops.

Abroad, Guaidó is buoyed by US sanctions against Maduro's regime funnelling funds his way, and efforts to have his envoys recognised over Maduro's in diplomatic missions and international organisations.

Maduro, who so far has heeded US warnings to not arrest Guaidó under threat of unspecified repercussions, appears nonetheless more confident since Moscow's overt protection.

Moscow on Thursday shrugged off a demand made a day earlier by US President Donald Trump that "Russia has to get out" of Venezuela. 

Its troops, described as military experts, will stay "for as long as needed," a spokesman for Russian President Vladimir Putin said, suggesting Washington back off and not interfere.

On Monday, Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov accused the US of organising a "coup" in Venezuela. 

Some reports said the soldiers were there to operate air defence systems bought from Russia.

US tightens sanctions

Washington reacted angrily to Russia's move, with US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo expressing displeasure in a tweet that borrowed a Maduro hashtag usually aimed at America. 

"Maduro calls for hands off Venezuela while he invites security forces from Cuba and Russia, so he and his cronies can keep plundering Venezuela," Pompeo posted.

"It is time for Venezuelan institutions to stand for their sovereignty. Russia and Cuba, #HandsOffVenezuela."

The US tactics, so far, have been focused on ratcheting up sanctions. Those will jump to a critical level for Venezuela in a month's time, on April 28, when the United States will impose a ban on imports of Venezuelan oil.

With the United States as Venezuela's main customer for crude, that step is expected to severely impact Maduro's already depleted state coffers.

The stand-off has seen the US pull its diplomats from Venezuela, and American Airlines, which had already temporarily suspended flights to the country over security concerns, said Thursday that it was doing so indefinitely.

Hard-hit oil sector

Months of increasingly tough US sanctions, coupled with mismanagement by Maduro's regime as it took over businesses and key sectors of the economy, and also corruption and many years of infrastructure underinvestment, have taken a toll. 

Between Monday and late Wednesday, Venezuelans endured their second nationwide blackout this month. The previous one, unprecedented in scale and duration, lasted a week.

The outages knocked out transport, water supplies, communications and bank card terminals, closing schools and public offices, while also reducing frozen stocks of already scarce food.

Analysts said the oil sector, which brings in 96 percent of state revenue, was all but paralyzed.

'Desperate'

For ordinary Venezuelans, the blackouts were a devastating blow on top of the hyperinflation and food insecurity that were pushing many to the brink of survival.

"This makes anyone desperate... Enough!" said Mauro Hernández, a 57-year-old Caracas resident forced to walk 90 minutes to get to work.

Maduro's government blamed the blackouts on US "cybernetic" attacks and "terrorist acts" by the opposition.

On Thursday, Communications Minister Jorge Rodríguez asserted that power had been restored to "most" of Venezuela and said that public offices, but not schools, will reopen on Friday after a multi-day closure.

But many continue to abandon the collapsing country, which has been abandoned by nearly three million Venezuelans since 2015, according to the United Nations.

And an internal UN report obtained by AFP on Thursday said that about 24 percent of the country's population – seven million people – are in dire need of humanitarian aid.

- AFP

In this news

More in (in spanish)

Comments

Actualidad

Minuto de Noticias

Toda la información en 60 segundos.

Ads Space

Ads Space