However, on Wednesday a similarly scandalous case was brought before the courts with the trial into the so-called "triple escape" beginning at Criminal Court 1 in the city of La Plata, Buenos Aires province.
The case centres around the 2015 New Year's Eve escape from General Alvear Prison of the brothers Martín and Cristian Lanatta, and Víctor Schillaci.
Eventually recaptured after nearly three weeks on the run, they had been previously sentenced for the 2008 General Rodríguez triple homicide, when three suspected ephedrine-traffickers allegedly linked to the financing of Cristina Fernández de Kirchner’s 2007 presidential campaign were gunned down.
He was referring to accusations he made on star journalist Jorge Lanata's Periodismo Para Todos program in which he incriminated then Buenos Aires province gubernatorial candidate Fernández, a highly questioned former strong man in the Cristina Fernández de Kirchner government.
On Thursday, Aníbal Fernández told the C5N news channel: "I got over the the pain and anger a long time ago and I knew about this, so it's nothing new".
"They are trying to defend themselves regarding their own escape, which is important for the Argentine people (to listen to) because many times they make judgements based on what the television says and don't know that this was provoked and invented to damage a candidate, and they achieved it", he added.