Several Latin American leaders expressed solidarity Thursday with Argentina's Vice-President Cristina Fernández de Kirchner after she survived an assassination attempt.
The man, who was arrested, pointed a gun at the face of the former 2007-2015 president at very close range. The weapon failed to fire despite being triggered as Fernández de Kirchner arrived at her home, where a crowd of her supporters had gathered.
Here are some of the reactions:
– "We send our solidarity to Vice President CFKArgentina in the face of the attempt on her life. We strongly repudiate this action that seeks to destabilise the peace of the brotherly Argentine people. The Great Homeland is with you, comrade! #FuerzaArgentina #FuerzaCristina." (President of Venezuela, Nicolás Maduro, on Twitter)
– "From #Cuba, dismayed at the attempted assassination of @CFKArgentina, we convey all our solidarity to the vice-president, the Argentine government and the Argentine people." (Cuban President Miguel Díaz-Canel on Twitter)
– "The assassination attempt on the Vice-President of Argentina, Cristina Fernández, deserves the repudiation and condemnation of the entire continent. My solidarity with her, the government and the people of Argentina. The way forward will always be the debate of ideas and dialogue, never weapons or violence." (President of Chile, Gabriel Boric, Twitter)
– "All my solidarity with Vice-President @CFKArgentina and the Argentine people. The Peruvian government condemns the attempt on her life today. We repudiate all acts of violence." (President of Peru, Pedro Castillo, on Twitter)
– "All my solidarity to comrade @CFKArgentina, victim of a fascist criminal who does not know how to respect differences and diversity. Cristina is a woman who deserves the respect of any democrat in the world. Thank God she was unharmed." (Former President of Brazil Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, on Twitter)
– "We emphatically repudiate the attempt on the life of sister @CFKArgentina, vice-president of #Argentina. From the Plurinational State of #Bolivia, we send all our support, to her, her family, the government and the Argentine people. #TodosConCristina." (Bolivian President Luis Arce, on Twitter)
– "We condemn the cowardly assassination attempt against our sister @CFKArgentina. All our solidarity to the vice-president. The Patria Grande is with you sister. The criminal and servile right wing to imperialism will not pass. The free and dignified people of #Argentina will defeat it." (Former President of Bolivia, Evo Morales, on the same platform)
- "What is wrong with the world! My absolute solidarity with Cristina." (Former President of Ecuador Rafael Correa, on Twitter)
– "No act guided by hate can be endured. What @CFKArgentina suffered today must never be allowed. My solidarity with her and my rejection and condemnation of this criminal act." (Former President of Peru Ollanta Humala on Twitter)
– "The Government of Mexico expresses its rejection and condemnation of the attack against the Vice-President of Argentina, Cristina Fernández. Mexico's fullest solidarity with Cristina Fernández and the Government of the Republic of Argentina." (Mexico's Foreign Minister Marcelo Ebrard in two tweets)
– "Our firm condemnation of the attack against the [email protected] We express our solidarity with the government and people of Argentina." (Foreign Minister of Honduras, Enrique Reina, on the same social network).