Friday, September 18, 2020
Perfil

ARGENTINA | 24-03-2020 15:19

Coronavirus death toll rises to six with fatalities in Mar del Plata, Chaco

71-year-old, who returned to country from Spain on March 9, dies in Mar del Plata; Chaco records second death from Covid-19 after 53-year-old passes away in Resistencia.

Argentina recorded two new fatalities from the coronavirus pandemic on Tuesday, after deaths were registered in the provinces of Buenos Aires and Chaco.

The 25 de Mayo clinic in Mar del Plata said in a statement that a 71-year-old man with coronavirus had died at 12.44pm.

The individual had previously travelled to Spain, returning to Argentina on March 9 via Ezeiza International Airport. A friend who picked him up there reportedly was concerend by his condition and took him to an emergency unit. The victim had been in the hospital's intensive care unit for 12 days, in a coma with machines aiding his breathing.

According to reports in the local press, he suffered from previous health conditions that put him at risk from the illness, including diabetes and kidney failure.

"He presented multiple organ failure with no response to instituted therapies," the clinic said its statement, according to Perfil.

"The patient, who was undergoing his 14th day of hospitalisation, [was in] the 12th day of respiratory care in the Intensive Care Unit, in a context of respiratory distress secondary to Covid-19," it concluded. 

La Nación reported Tuesday that doctors saw his condition as "very serious" and "difficult to reverse."

Chaco death

Later this afternoon, local outlets confirmed the death of a second person from coronavirus in the province of Chaco – the first under the age of 60.

Little news has emerged at present about the passing, but La Nación reported that the victim was a 53-year-old man who had no history of recent travel abroad. The local daily said that the victim had been in close contact with someone infected with Covid-19.

This is the second death from the virus in the northeastern province, which already has at least 32 individuals confirmed as having been infected.

The 53-year-old died in the provincial capital of Resistencia, according to Perfil. He reportedly began showing symptoms of the illness on March 11 and he had been in a private institution receiving care since March 14, the provincial government said in a statement.

The individual did not have any previous health conditions that placed him at risk, according to reports.

Death of Argentine in Italy

Meanwhile, reports in Italy said that a 53-year-old Argentine had passed away.

The victim, named as Mario Gustavo Mallo had lived in the country for more than a decade and died at the San Paolo hospital in Milan. 

His partner, identified only as Lucila, is now awaiting the results of a coronavirus test in isolation at her home in the Italian city.

– TIMES/PERFIL

 

related news

Comments

More in (in spanish)