With President Javier Milei watching on, Donald Trump on Thursday promised US $10 billion for a new "Board of Peace," an amorphous new institution focused first on Gaza that is being launched just as he threatens Iran with war.
While US warplanes and aircraft carriers headed toward Iran on his orders, the US president welcomed some two dozen allies from around the world to the gleaming Washington building of the former US Institute of Peace, which has been gutted and renamed after the 79-year-old Republican.
Trump, who has sharply curtailed foreign aid, said that the United States would contribute US$10 billion to the initiative whose goals include rebuilding Gaza, which was reduced to rubble by two years of war between Hamas and Israel.
"Together we can achieve the dream of bringing lasting harmony to a region tortured by centuries of war, suffering," said the realtor-turned-president, who has previously spoken improbably of building tourist resorts in Gaza.
Trump did not explain exactly where the money would go and his "Board of Peace" has drawn wide criticism for its opaque nature.
The Republican leader will wield veto power over the "Board of Peace" and can remain its head even after leaving office, while countries that want to stay on permanently rather than enjoy a two-year stint will need to pay US$1 billion.
Trump said nine members had pledged a total of US$9 billion to a Gaza relief package. Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan, the United Arab Emirates, Morocco, Bahrain, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Uzbekistan and Kuwait are the countries that are making pledges, Trump said.
In a rambling speech in which he denounced domestic opponents, highlighted stock market gains and hailed his prowess in endorsing foreign leaders during elections, Trump said he wanted to pursue more peace deals.
"It's all about an easy word to say, but a hard word to produce: peace," Trump said.
Milei offers peace-keeping troops
In a brief address to the meeting, Milei reiterated his backing for Trump and the Board of Peace, offering to deploy peace-keeping forces in the Gaza Strip.
"In this initial stage. Argentina is ready to contribute. We are offering the collaboration of our White Helmets," Milei said during his two-minute speech.
The White Helmets or "Los Casco Blancos" is an agency under the remit of the Foreign Ministry. It is responsible for providing international humanitarian assistance based on cooperation and community participation. Since its creation in 1994, it has carried out actions in more than 80 countries, normally on UN missions.
Milei said his government believes "in diplomacy that takes risks to achieve peace" and went on to praise the "determination" of Trump.
In his brief remarks, President Milei said “a new Argentina” had adopted a “clear position” in its foreign policy.
The La Libertad Avanza leader said Argentina would defend the “right to life, right to freedom and right to private property.”
"Argentina participates in this council with the conviction that peace requires political determination and an institutional architecture capable of sustaining real solutions over time. Trump has led by example by mediating the peace agreement in Gaza," said the President.
"The Board of Peace was created as an expression of that leadership with a mandate to implement a plan for peace and reconstruction, including the mechanisms to do so, among them an international stabilisation force," he added.
Arab countries also offered peacekeeping troops for the war-torn territory.
Indonesia will assume the role of deputy commander of the US-led stabilisation force. Morocco also announced it would send troops and police officers, who will in turn train a new police force in the Strip.
Israel continues to occupy a large part of the territory, where military incidents are a regular occurrence.
"Lasting peace is not built on compromises that give way on fundamental issues. It is built on the determination to defend it," Milei said.
'Bad things happen'
The meeting comes two days after Trump sent two envoys to speak with Iran's top diplomat as the United States pushes for major concessions from the cleric-run state on concerns starting with its nuclear programme.
"We have to make a meaningful deal otherwise bad things happen," Trump said.
He warned that Washington "may have to take it a step further" without any agreement, adding: "You're going to be finding out over the next probably 10 days."
The "Board of Peace" came together after the Trump administration, teaming up with Qatar and Egypt, negotiated a ceasefire in October to halt two years of devastating war in Gaza.
The United States says that the plan has now entered its second phase with a focus on disarming Hamas – the Palestinian militant group whose unprecedented October 7, 2023, attack on Israel triggered the massive offensive.
Gaza's health ministry, which operates under Hamas authorities, says at least 601 people have been killed by Israeli forces since the truce began.
The meeting will also look at how to launch the “International Stabilization Force” that will ensure security in Gaza.
A key player will be Indonesia, the largest Muslim-majority country, which has said it is ready to send up to 8,000 troops to Gaza if the force is confirmed.
Indonesian President Prabowo Subianto – a former general once accused of human rights abuses whom Trump called a "tough cookie" – took part in the inaugural meeting in Gaza, after joining the launch event at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, last month.
Israel was represented by its foreign minister, who was positioned at a group photo next to the prime minister of Qatar, which has faced intense criticism from Israel.
In one step towards a new Gaza, a technocratic committee was formed last month to handle day-to-day governance of Gaza headed by engineer and former official Ali Shaath.
'Ambition and narcissism'
The inaugural meeting brought ideological allies of Trump including Milei and Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban, who is facing a tough re-election battle.
Other leaders in attendance include some eager for US attention, such as Pakistani Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif, who has courted Trump for support in his country's conflict with India.
Critics say that the "Board of Peace" remains vague, including how it would interact with existing institutions including the United Nations.
"It's a confused mix of ambition and narcissism, unleavened by any effort at intellectual coherence," said Bruce Jones, a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution.
Trump said Thursday that the Board of Peace will be “looking over” the UN, claiming it would strengthen the international organisation.
“Someday I won’t be here. The United Nations will be,” Trump said. “I think it is going to be much stronger, and the Board of Peace is going to almost be looking over the United Nations and making sure it runs properly.”
During the event, Trump praised his “very good track record” of backing foreign leaders, claiming that his support for Orban and Milei – who he referred to as “this gentlemen” – in electoral battles had been decisive.
Milei was "a little behind in the polls and he ended up winning in a landslide," added Trump.
– TIMES/AFP/NA/PERFIL


Comments