Buenos Aires Times

world Royal family

UK police probe 'racist' package sent to Prince Harry and Meghan Markle

Authorities determined the contents safe, but have continued a different type of investigation.

Thursday 22 February, 2018
Great Britain's Prince Harry talks with his fiancé, American actress Meghan Markle while watching a dance performance by Jukebox Collective in the banqueting hall during a visit to Cardiff Castle, Wales in January.
Great Britain's Prince Harry talks with his fiancé, American actress Meghan Markle while watching a dance performance by Jukebox Collective in the banqueting hall during a visit to Cardiff Castle, Wales in January. Foto:Ben Birchall/Pool via AP, File

More Latin america News

Police are investigating a suspicious package sent to Great Britain's Prince Harry and his fiancé Meghan Markle as a racist hate crime, Scotland Yard said Thursday.

Officers from the Metropolitan Police's counter-terrorism command were called in after "a package containing a substance" was received on February 12 at a sorting office in St James's Palace in central London.

The force said counterterrorism detectives are investigating the incident as an alleged malicious communication offense, "and it is being treated as a racist hate crime."

The Evening Standard reported the package was a letter containing white powder and a racist message. Contacted by AFP, Prince Harry's press service at Kensington Palace declined to comment on the report.

Earlier this month, a letter containing white powder was sent to an office at Parliament, leading to a partial evacuation of the building. It also was found to be non-toxic.

The prince and Markle are due to marry May 19 at Windsor Castle.

When their relationship was first revealed in 2016, Harry issued a strongly-worded statement against media harassment of his mixed-race girlfriend.

Harry's communications secretary Jason Knauf said at the time that Markle had been the subject of "a wave of abuse and harassment."

"Prince Harry is worried about Ms Markle's safety and is deeply disappointed that he has not been able to protect her," Knauf said then.

-TIMES/AP/AFP

Poll

Op-Ed

Top Stories

  1. 1Government presents austere budget for 2019Government presents austere budget for 2019
  2. 2Nearly half of all Argentines foresee 'worse' economic future for children: Pew study
  3. 3Dreaming of a quick fix
  4. 4Notebooks graft case: Bonadio seeks Fernández de Kirchner's arrest
  5. 5Manu Ginóbili content with retirement after 16 seasons with Spurs
  6. 6Argentina’s richest 10% control more wealth than 60% of the country
  7. 7Evangelicals, a growing force in Brazil, to greatly impact October elections
  8. 8'Export duties will help balance the fiscal situation'
  9. 9UCA report: Half of Argentina's children live in poverty
  10. 10Police suspect 12-year-old girl's suicide linked to WhatsApp terror game Momo