Buenos Aires Times

latin america TOUR OF CHILE AND PERU

Pope shocks Chile by accusing sex abuse victims of slander

Chile’s Church has yet to recover its credibility following the scandal over Reverend Fernando Karadima, the country’s most notorious paedophile priest.

Saturday 20 January, 2018
Protesters demonstrate against the Reverend Fernando Karadima, and his protege Juan Barros, bishop of Osorno, as Pope Francis rides past on his way to celebrates Mass at the Maquehue Airport in Temuco, Chile, on Wednesday.
Protesters demonstrate against the Reverend Fernando Karadima, and his protege Juan Barros, bishop of Osorno, as Pope Francis rides past on his way to celebrates Mass at the Maquehue Airport in Temuco, Chile, on Wednesday. Foto:AP-Alessandra Tarantino

More Latin america News

Pope Francis left Chile on Thursday in explosive fashion, having accused victims of Chile’s most notorious paedophile of slander, an astonishing end to a visit meant to help heal the wounds of a sex abuse scandal that has cost the Catholic Church its credibility in the country.

Francis said that until he sees proof that Bishop Juan Barros was complicit in covering up the sex crimes of the Reverend Fernando Karadima, such accusations against Barros are “all calumny.”

The pope’s remarks drew shock from Chileans and immediate rebuke from victims and their advocates. They noted the accusers were deemed credible enough by the Vatican that it sentenced Karadima to a lifetime of “penance and prayer” for his crimes in 2011. 

A Chilean judge also found the victims to be credible, saying that while she had to drop criminal charges against Karadima because too much time had passed, proof of his crimes wasn’t lacking.

“As if I could have taken a selfie or a photo while Karadima abused me and others and Juan Barros stood by watching it all,” tweeted Barros’ most vocal accuser, Juan Carlos Cruz. “These people are truly crazy, and the pontiff talks about atonement to the victims. Nothing has changed, and his plea for forgiveness is empty.”

SCANDAL

The Karadima scandal dominated Francis’ visit to Chile and the overall issue of sex abuse and Church cover-up was likely to factor into his three-day trip to Peru that began late Thursday night.

Karadima’s victims reported to Church authorities as early as 2002 that he would kiss and fondle them in the swank Santiago parish he ran, but officials refused to believe them. Only when the victims went public with their accusations in 2010 did the Vatican launch an investigation that led to Karadima being removed from ministry.

The emeritus archbishop of Santiago subsequently apologised for having refused to believe the victims from the start.

Francis reopened the wounds of the scandal in 2015 when he named Barros, a protege of Karadima, as bishop of the southern diocese of Osorno. Karadima’s victims say Barros knew of the abuse, having seen it, but did nothing. 

Barros has repeatedly denied the allegations.

His appointment outraged Chileans, badly divided the Osorno diocese and further undermined the church’s already shaky credibility in the country.

Francis had sought to heal the wounds by meeting this week with abuse victims and begging forgiveness for the crimes of Church pastors. But on Thursday, he struck a defiant tone when asked by a Chilean journalist about Barros.

“The day they bring me proof against Bishop Barros, I’ll speak,” Francis said. “There is not one shred of proof against him. It’s all calumny. Is that clear?”

Francis had defended the appointment before, calling the Osorno controversy “stupid” and the result of a campaign mounted by leftists. But The Associated Press reported last week that the Vatican was so worried about the fall-out from the Karadima affair that it was prepared in 2014 to ask Barros and two other Karadima-trained bishops to resign and go on a yearlong sabbatical.

According to a January 31, 2015, letter obtained by AP from Francis to the executive committee of the Chilean bishops’ conference, the plan fell apart and Barros was sent to Osorno.

Juan Carlos Claret, spokesman for a group of Osorno lay Catholics who have mounted a three-year campaign against Barros, questioned why Francis was now accusing the victims of slandering Barros when the Vatican was so convinced of their claims that it planned to remove him in 2014.

“Isn’t the pastoral problem that we’re living (in Osorno) enough to get rid of him?” Claret asked.

The reference was to the fact that — guilty or not — Barros has been unable to do his job because so many Osorno Catholics and priests don’t recognise him as their bishop. They staged an unprecedented protest during his 2015 installation ceremony and have protested his presence ever since.

‘SAD AND WRONG’

Anne Barrett Doyle, of the online database BishopAccountability.org, said it was “sad and wrong” for the pope to discredit the victims since “the burden of proof here rests with the church, not the victims — and especially not with victims whose veracity has already been affirmed.”

“He has just turned back the clock to the darkest days of this crisis,” she said in a statement. “Who knows how many victims now will decide to stay hidden, for fear they will not be believed?”

Indeed, Catholic officials for years accused victims of slandering and attacking the church with their claims.

But up until Francis’ words Thursday, many in the church and Vatican had come to reluctantly acknowledge that victims usually told the truth and that the church for decades had wrongly sought to protect its own.

German Silva, a political scientist at Santiago’s Universidad Mayor, said the pope’s comments were a “tremendous error” that will reverberate in Chile and beyond.

Patricio Navia, political science professor at Diego Portales University in Santiago and former Buenos Aires Herald columnist, said Francis had gone much further than Chilean bishops in acknowledging the sexual abuse scandal, which many Chileans appreciated.

“Then right before leaving, Francis turns around and says: ‘By the way, I don’t think Barros is guilty. Show me some proof,’” Navia said, adding the comment will probably erase any good will the pope had won over the issue. Navia said the Karadima scandal had radically changed how Chileans view the Church. “In the typical Chilean family, parents (now) think twice before sending their kids to Catholic school because you never know what is going to happen,” Navia said.

Francis produces plenty of suprises on LatAm tour

As he does during every papal visit, Pope Francis produced plenty of surprises in Chile: he married a couple during a flight, stopped his motorcade to help a fallen police officer and wept with victims of sex abuse by priests. But the pope also faced protests and a level of hostility unheard of in modern times for a papal visit. Anti-pope protests had to be broken up with tear gas, attackers burned at least 11 Roman Catholic Churches and pamphlets were found threatening Francis that the “next bomb would be in your cassock.”

“This kind of violence during a papal visit is absolutely unprecedented,” said Andrew Chesnut, the Catholic Studies chair at Virginia Commonwealth University.

It remains to be seen whether the friction in Chile was a fluke or a harbinger of what to expect in future papal trips. The neighbouring country of Peru, where Francis went Thursday, wasn’t taking any chances. Authorities have banned demonstrations because they “impact the image of the country,” police spokeswoman Veronica Marquez said. 

As we went to print yesterday, Francis was already making notable comments in Peru. He travelled deep into the Amazon rainforest to demand an end to the relentless exploitation of its timber, gas and gold and recognition of its indigenous peoples as the primary custodians to determine the future of “our common home.” Speaking to a coliseum filled with indigenous men, women and children, Francis declared the Amazon the “heart of the Church.”

– TIMES/AP

Poll

Op-Ed

Top Stories

  1. 1Olympic official dies in Buenos Aires after suffering heart attackOlympic official dies in Buenos Aires after suffering heart attack
  2. 2Argentina’s ‘WhatsApp’ syndrome
  3. 360k women march on Trelew for annual summit
  4. 4Saskia Sassen: "Many of the spaces we believe to be public are privately owned"
  5. 5Government banks on improved ties with Qatar to boost Vaca Muerta
  6. 6'I want to be a world champion' - Argentina's youth boxer is going for gold
  7. 7Editorial: Loose talk
  8. 8Leandro Erlich emphasises togetherness with Ball Game
  9. 9Techint boss paid Kirchner officials to chase indemnity from Chávez gov't: testimony
  10. 10Oct 8th-14th: What We Learned This Week