Buenos Aires Times

argentina MISSING SUBMARINE

ARA San Juan: Government confirms US$4.8-million reward for info

Defence Ministry says the reward will be granted to persons who provide information and useful data that will helps discover the whereabouts and precise location of the missing submarine.

Wednesday 14 February, 2018
President Mauricio Macri, Vice-President Gabriela Michetti and Defence Minister Oscar Aguad meet relatives of the crew-members of the ARA San Juan submarine at the Casa Rosada
President Mauricio Macri, Vice-President Gabriela Michetti and Defence Minister Oscar Aguad meet relatives of the crew-members of the ARA San Juan submarine at the Casa Rosada Foto:AFP-JUAN MABROMATA

More Latin america News

The Defence Ministry has confirmed that a 98-million-peso (US$4.8 million) reward has been made available for information leading to the recovery of the missing ARA San Juan submarine, which disappeared without trace in the South Atlantic in November with the loss of 44 crew-members.

The Ministry said the reward will be granted "to those persons who provide information and useful data that will allow us to find the whereabouts and precise location of the submarine."

“Those with information on the ARA San Juan can contact the Defence Ministry by email,’’ the ministry said in a statement in the Official Gazette, publishing the address subsanjuan@mindef.gov.ar.

President Mauricio Marci's government said it is seeking to "generate adequate incentives" for private companies and shipping firms to participate in the ongoing search with the Argentine Navy.

At the peak of search operations in an area off the Argentine coast, more than a dozen countries provided military assets, oceanographic vessels and planes.

Macri told 32 relatives of the victims' families about the reward in a meeting on February 7, though the amount still had to be fixed. After the meeting, some relatives described the president as distant in the meeting. The families have long pleaded with the government to increase resources and expand the search area. 

The Navy has been criticised for its handling of the operation since first reporting the submarine overdue at its base in Mar del Plata on November 16. It was only several days later that the navy acknowledged the San Juan had reported a problem with its batteries in its final communication on November 15. Even later the Navy said there had been a likely devastating explosion on board, which experts said was probably linked to the battery problem.

Macri sacked naval chief Admiral Marcelo Srur and several top naval officials over the disaster, and opened an inquiry to determine what happened and who ultimately bears responsibility.

- TIMES/AGENCIES

Poll

Op-Ed

Top Stories

  1. 1Piñera's appointment of brother as ambassador to Argentina put on icePiñera's appointment of brother as ambassador to Argentina put on ice
  2. 2Glyphosate use on the rise in Argentina, despite controversy
  3. 3Juan Martín Hernández retires from professional rugby
  4. 4Argentina’s Immigration Law: Court upholds deportation, residency cancellations
  5. 5Five themes of Macri’s speech to Congress
  6. 6Low-cost airlines ready for take-off in 2018
  7. 7Abuse whistleblower: I'll tell Pope to get rid of 'toxic' bishops
  8. 82018: A key electoral year for Latin America
  9. 9‘State of emergency’ in Argentine prisons, says UN
  10. 10Lower House to vote on street harassment legislation